Introduction to database systems (motivation for database systems, storage systems, architecture, facilities, applications). Database modelling (basic concepts, E-R modelling, Schema derivation). The relational model and algebra, SQL (definitions, manipulations, access centre, embedding). Physical design (estimation of workload and access time, logical I/Os, distribution). Modern database systems (extended relational, object-oriented). Advanced database systems (active, deductive, parallel, distributed, federated). DB functionality and services (files, structures and access methods, transactions and concurrency control, reliability, query processing).
- This course is offered in 60 hours
- Intro to databases
- Conceptual model
- Relational model
- Relational algebra
- Relational model translations
- Transaction management
- Query optimization
- Distributed Databases
- Database security
Lectures, tutorials, lab.
Two coursework submissions.
One three-hour unseen written paper.
BSc (Hons) Computing and Information Systems (UoL)
This degree prepares you to develop systems that can grow to meet new and changing needs in modern business environments.
- This degree is internationally recognized, giving you an advantage in the job market, wherever your career takes you.
- You can rely on the quality of the content of this degree.
- You will gain specialist expertise in the development and application of innovative technologies.
- Our courses are designed to help you develop the analytical, organizational and creative skills sought by employers in the fast-evolving sector.
- You will receive comprehensive subject guides approved by Goldsmith's academics, as well as access to a wealth of online resources.
- This programme provides an excellent preparation for a career as a computing or information systems professional.
In order to obtain the BSc (Hons) in Computing and Information Systems, students will pursue:-
- 8 core full modules
- 6 electives (half modules)
- Final Project
At SBCS we focus on -
- Producing graduates who are capable of thinking critically, creatively and ethically.
- Graduates who are team players with the ability to communicate persuasively.
Highlights at a glance -
- Final Year (Top-up)
- Global Recognition
- Excellent Facilities and Administrative Support
- Expert Lecturers