This unit aims to give learners a strong foundation in mathematical skills which will allow them to successfully complete many of the other units within the qualification. Some of the topics learners will be introduced to include indices, algebraic formulas, quadratic equations, radian measure, trigonometry, areas and volumes, statistics and calculus.
- 48 hours
On completing this course successfully learners will be able to:
1. Use algebraic methods to solve engineering problems
2. Perform calculations involving trigonometry and standard formulae to determine areas and volumes
3. Perform calculations involving statistics
4. Use calculus to solve engineering problems
Matriculation to Higher National Diploma: Engineering
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering (EEE) - Graduates from this programme can progress to the final year of the BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering Technology programme.
- Mechanical Engineering - Graduates from this programme can progress to the final year of a BEng (Hons) Mechanical Engineering programme (subject to approval).
- Construction and the Built Environment (Building Services Engineering - HVAC) - Graduates from this programme can progress to the BSc (Hons) Engineering Management (Construction) or BSc (Hons) Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (Top-Up).