The aim of this unit is to enable students to appreciate and apply principles of effective Human Resource Management (HRM). People are the lifeblood of any organisation and being able to attract, recruit and retain talented staff is at the core of all HRM activity. This unit will explore the tools and techniques used in HRM to maximise the employee contribution and how to use HR methods to gain competitive advantage. Students will explore the importance of training and development in building and extending the skills base of the organisation and ensuring it is relevant to the ever-changing business environment. Students will also consider the growing importance of becoming a flexible organisation with an equally flexible labour force, and become familiar with techniques of job design and with different reward systems.
- This course is covered in 50 contact hours
Upon successful completion of this unit, learners will be able to:
- Explain the purpose and scope of Human Resource Management in terms of resourcing an organisation with talent and skills appropriate to fulfil business objectives.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the key elements of Human Resource Management in an organisation.
- Analyse internal and external factors that affect Human Resource Management decision-making, including employment legislation.
- Apply Human Resource Management practices in a work-related context.
BTEC Higher National Diploma (HND) in Business
Acquire an Honours Degree in Business, Human Resource Management or Marketing via the Pearson BTEC HND in Business route.
As we face an increasingly challenging business environment, employers are looking for professionals who can easily find solutions to an array of problems. The BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma (HND) in Business focuses on developing students as professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the business sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. It is a professional qualification that is recognised as an accepted route into the later stages of a number of UK and foreign university degree qualifications.
This Level 5 HND is ideal for those who wish to study at an undergraduate level to pursue or advance their career in business.
It comprises 15 units; 12 core, and 3 electives specific to your chosen specialism (Management, Human Resources and Marketing). Successful completion of the BTEC Higher National Diploma in Business allows direct entry into:
- BA (Hons) Business Management from the University of Sunderland*
- BA (Hons) Business and Marketing from the University of Sunderland*
- BA (Hons) Human Resource Management from the University of Greenwich*
*These programmes can be completed in 12-18 months.
Upon completion of the above-mentioned degrees, one can then progress on to:
CSEC/CXC graduates: your internationally-recognised honours degree is closer than you think. Click to find out how.
- Short Business Courses
- Short Information Technology Courses
- Matriculation to Higher National Diploma in Business
- ABE Level 4 Diploma in Business Management
- BA (Hons) Business Management
- BA (Hons) Business and Marketing
- BA (Hons) Human Resource Management
- Master of Business Administration
- Doctor of Business Administration
MSc. Human Resource Management
Built around the key roles of Human Resource Management, this programme will help develop the HR Manager’s strategic, functional and personal skills.
Ask any organisation to identify the key to their success and they’ll say “our people”, but for those people to perform at their best, they need to work in an atmosphere in which they feel valued and rewarded. The HR professional is one of the keys to delivering just that.
This programme will enable managers, whatever their present level of experience, to develop the strategic, functional and personal skills they need to meet the increasingly demanding roles of HR. The programme also addresses the increasingly important interfaces between HR and other key business functions, including marketing and communications, information and communications technologies and knowledge management.
The areas of study include the HR function as a strategic partner, change agent, administrative expert and employee champion. It also addresses the interface between HR and other key business functions. Graduates of the MSc will come away with invaluable insights, increased understanding and new knowledge.
Heriot-Watt University is accredited by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education (QAA) UK
Ranked in the Complete University Guide 2018
- 28th in the UK and 3rd in Scotland
- Ranked in the top 25% in the UK for 10 subjects – Accounting & Finance, Art & Design, Building, Business & Management Studies, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, and Mechanical Engineering
There are two tuition intakes per year for all courses:
- January - May
- July - November
REGISTRATION DATES FOR THE JANUARY 2018 SEMESTER:
- November 18th – December 14th, 2017
- Late registration will be accepted from January 3rd - January 20th, 2018